pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Default to adding downloads to back of queue

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Default to adding downloads to back of queue
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 07:06:38 +0000 (UTC)

"Daniel Parish" <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted
below, on  Sat, 16 Dec 2006 12:57:27 -0800:

> Sorry, I knew that, just switched to gmail and didn't realize it was
> sending out html.  I think (I hope!) I just disabled it, but how to do
> so isn't exactly clear.

You weren't the first and won't be the last.  Some folks have a policy of
simply killfiling such, but I make it a point to ask first, since so many
aren't aware of it.

As for html on gmail, from what I've read they don't (or didn't) have a
way to turn it off per address, so there's the global setting, and there's
per message.  Your reply wasn't HTML, but sometimes (general, don't know
about gmail) replies are plain text if the replied to is plain text, so
that doesn't necessarily say anything.

Anyway, thanks.

The task order thing has been a problem because at one point it was
seeming to do random, regardless of what you set.  It didn't seem to be in
date order.  It didn't seem to be in the order they were sorted when you
started the task (that's the most requested feature, as old-pan did that
by default with everything started at once anyway, and it seems to be the
expected and most intuitive).

I personally tend to do things a bit different, downloading to cache (which
I have set huge, 15 gig, for my binary pan instance) instead of saving
directly, then saving to final location when everything's already stored
locally.  Thus, the save-task ordering I'm not sure on, but it does seem
to pick a post here and a post there to download, with no order, no matter
how I sort them, and that /does/ tend to be frustrating.

Still, multi-server scheduling pan is better than the old one, even if
there are minor frustrations from time to time.  My workaround has been to
set one group to download, let it finish, then go thru it locally while
the next one is downloading, so the out of any rational order thing has
been frustrating but not world ending, by far.