pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: pan-0.119 issue

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: pan-0.119 issue
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 10:45:55 +0000 (UTC)

walt <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Thu, 16 Nov 2006 08:06:38
-0800:

> Duncan wrote:
>> FWIW, I returned to glibc-2.4-r4 (had to hack portage to get it to do it
>> since the package has a safety feature preventing downgrades, and my
>> non-pan issue is gone, as I expected it would be from an earlier test.
>> I'm not sure about the pan crashes as they were rather less frequent and
>> thus harder to duplicate, but so far, so good. =8^)...
>
> I'm afraid I'm seeing the same pan problem with glibc-2.4-r4, but it's
> rare, so I'm at a loss to trigger it on purpose.  I guess running pan
> from gdb every time might catch it.

I still haven't seen it back, and I normally would have seen it a
couple times by now if I was still using glibc-2.5, so either it's two
different problems, or glibc-2.5 makes a bad thing worse.

I suspect the glibc-2.5 thing is either amd64 or SMP related, tho.  I
asked on the amd64 group and several reported no problems with it, which
leans it toward SMP, or maybe both.  Anyway, I doubt it's something
single-core single-CPU x86 will see.