pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: pan-0.119 issue

From: Per Hedeland
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: pan-0.119 issue
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 02:09:18 +0100 (CET)

Matej Cepl <address@hidden> wrote:

>Many distributions eliminate core in runtime. On Fedora, you have to
>enable them in /etc/sysconfig/init by adding
>
>DAEMON_COREFILE_LIMIT=unlimited
>
>and then in /etc/profile comment out line saying
>
>ulimit -S -c 0 > /dev/null 2>&1
>
>and in /etc/security/limits.conf add line saying
>
>@users               soft    core            unlimited
>
>(I know, it's a lot).

But no need for any of that for a specific user running a program - the
limits are a per-process thing, inherited by child processes but
overridable by them as long as the override doesn't go beyond the "hard"
limit (which I've never seen set for core file size). This is on FC5:

bash-3.1$ ulimit -c
0
bash-3.1$ ulimit -c unlimited
bash-3.1$ ulimit -c
unlimited
bash-3.1$ cat > xxx.c
main() { char *p = 0; *p = 0; }
^D
bash-3.1$ cc xxx.c
bash-3.1$ ./a.out
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
bash-3.1$

What this translates to for most users in the case of pan would be
putting the 'ulimit -c unlimited' at the top of .xsession or whatever
file controls your window system startup. Of course you could also start
pan from the commandline after doing the ulimit there. Note for [t]csh
users, these use a different command/syntax for no particular reason:

d120 3> limit coredumpsize
coredumpsize 0 kbytes
d120 4> unlimit coredumpsize
d120 5> limit coredumpsize
coredumpsize unlimited

(Since the limits are per-process, the command must be a builtin in the
shell.)

--Per Hedeland