pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Question around multi-server and connection errors

From: David Kelly
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Question around multi-server and connection errors
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 06:57:03 -0500

On Oct 24, 2006, at 2:45 AM, Duncan wrote:

I'm not actually sure of the status of any related bugs on this at this
point.

I have a similar bug open, 364061.

Fortunately for me but unfortunately for fixing this problem, my
connection seems to be trouble-free enough to trigger something like this
only rarely, which means it's not something I could effectively
troubleshoot.

Mine's easy enough to repeat. My Fallback news server is reached thru an ssh tunnel. Its configured on localhost:1119. If the tunnel is not up then Get New Headers tasks stick in the Task Manager altho marked 100% complete.

ssh -L 1119:news.remote.whatever:119 login.remote.whatever

stderr also has a lot of "can't open socket" messages.

Agree with Duncan in that this probably is not a simple thing to fix correctly. A band-aid might be simple, but the proper cure probably rests in the definition and philosophy in the use of parallel servers.

When the tunnel has been down for a while, say a week, then I bring it up and Get New Headers, it returns all of the deleted headers from when only the Primary was available. I understand why as I don't bring the Fallback online until I have a problem with the Primary. Somehow I desire additional control. Sort of self-defeating for pan to maintain a "deleted message list" when the original motivation for deleting messages was to hold down memory use. Then again a rough guess is that the current pan runs in 10% to 15% of the original memory footprint when dealing with groups in excess of 1E6 messages.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, address@hidden