pan-users

[Pan-users] Question around multi-server and connection errors

From: Guilhem Bonnefille
Subject: [Pan-users] Question around multi-server and connection errors
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 08:50:45 +0200

Hi,

I'm running the pan 0.117+patches. Group list can now be downloaded.
Thanks again!

But I encounter a strange behaviour and I wish to have some explanations.

I'm using 5 servers.Few hours before, I started todownload 50 messages
(binaries one). Pan started to connect to the servers. For any
reasons, it failed. Only one server replied, and a download started at
0.1KB/s. I just leave everything and went to sleep.
This morning, I checked pan: no file downloaded and a transfert is
still here at 0.1KB/s. So I decided to stop pan and restart it. Then,
it contact all servers and the download start at 100KB/s (nice :-)).
But, few minutes later, only one server is still connected and the
download is around 40KB/s (nice too). In the log, 4 errors around
socket.

My question concern the way the server pool is used. What hapen when
an error is encounter on a server? Will it be reused in the future? Is
it declared lost for all the current pan session?
I'm quite able to investigate by myself, but a starting point could be
good. Perhaps a section with "design" could be helpfull (eventually as
a Wiki in order to allow collaboration).

Other question: is it possible to increase the details in the log
window? For example, when an error occurs on a connection, append the
name of the server in the message.

Best regards,
--
Guilhem BONNEFILLE