pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Re: FQDN and hostname

From: Thufir
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Re: FQDN and hostname
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 09:30:36 +0100

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 15:18:26 -0500, Charles Kerr wrote:

> Thufir wrote:
>> On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 02:26:59 +0000, Duncan wrote:
>> [...]
>>> The confusion is due to pan version.  New-pan works quite differently than
>>> old-pan in this regard.  Thufir must still be using old (0.14.x) pan.
>>> Indeed, a quick header check verifies that he is, 0.14.2.91.
>>>
>>> Thufir:  The version you are using is no longer under development.
>> [...]
>>
>> Curious, in that I installed via yum from FC5...
>
> Yeah, we don't get any respect from Fedora.  I'm not actually sure
> we have project maintainer for Pan on Fedora Extras, but it would
> be nice, since we have one for most other big distros, and since
> Fedora's still (marginally) my distro of choice. ;)
>
> cheers,
> Charles

Getting off topic now, but I find fedora crappy in many ways, this being,
if not the epitome, then an example of the problem.  I suppose it's not
really a "fedora" issue, but a packaging issue.  There are umpteen yum
repositories, distributing n versions of the same thing, some of which are
out of date, or conflict with other repositories, or there are a multitude
of options for a simple thing...

Why fedora can't simply copy, and maybe improve, gentoo e-builds, being,
of course, an homage to the BSD port system, is a mystery to me.  Pride?

on topic:  if I upgrade, or run two versions of pan, it won't make a
difference because pan is just connecting to leafnode, yes?

Things like, which messages are read, or not, or which groups are marked
"subscribed", can that info carry over to the updated version of pan?  The
messages themselves are in leafnode, of course (as is the
"interesting.groups" directory, which is related to the subscribed groups
in pan).

-Thufir