pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Aggregating servers (was Re: choosing news server)

From: walt
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Aggregating servers (was Re: choosing news server)
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 14:18:07 -0700

Beartooth wrote:
> On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 12:33:27 -0700, walt wrote:
> [...]
>> I agree that there are both pluses and minuses to aggregating
>> servers.  I'm not at all sure yet that I like it, but I'm trying
>> to keep an open mind.
> [...]
>> Patience will be required ;o)
>
> I tried it when Charles (blessed be his name, now and forevermore!) first
> got back to revising Pan again.
>
> I'm sorry to say I found it so contrary to the way I work, that I gave up
> entirely, until the new version reaches 1.0 -- which, I hope, I hope
> (pretty please with sugar on it?) may make it an option whether to
> aggregate them. Is there hope?

No idea.  But, at this particular moment, I would agree.  I'm willing
to wait for group-specific preferences first, though, and then start
complaining :o)

> I'm not saying it's not a good thing; some of the most intelligent people
> I know swear by the Apple interface, too.

You caught my attention with that one.  I don't use any Apple machines,
so I'm not sure what you mean.  What does the Apple interface have to do
with aggregation of news servers?

> But I just couldn't work with
> it, either; I run Fedora and only Fedora (dot ppc, of course) on the only
> Apple machine I have the misfortune to possess.
>
> Both just feel so wrong, somehow,

My crabby old English teacher would rap your knuckles at this point and
scream "Antecedent!"  i.e. what objects do you refer to when you say
'both'?

> that they keep me from holding my
> attention on what I'm trying to do -- forcing me to concentrate on stuff I
> don't even want to know about. Not everybody's mind works the same way,
> alas!

My wife's mind certainly doesn't work the same way mine does.