pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Pan crashing with Gtk 2.8

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Pan crashing with Gtk 2.8
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 11:02:12 -0700

Dave Chand posted <address@hidden>,
excerpted below,  on Thu, 18 Aug 2005 23:30:35 -0400:

> On Aug 18, 2005, at 8:29 PM, Dave Chand wrote:
>
>> I have compiled pan-0.14.2.91 on Mac OS X tiger along with GTK 2.8.
>> It seems whenever GTK v2.8 is compiled with debug off (i.e --enable-
>> debug=no) pan will always crash when reading a text news article.
>> If GTK v2.8 is compile using --enable-debug=minumum, then pan does
>> not crash, instead, pan spits the following out to the console:
>>
>> (pan:7327): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_drawable_get_colormap: assertion
>> `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed
>>
>> (pan:7327): Gdk-WARNING **: gdk_window_set_back_pixmap(): pixmap
>> must have a colormap
>
> Incidentally, this not a pan bug, but a GTK 2.8 Bug...
> And here is the fix:
>
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-app-devel-list/2005-August/msg00206.html

Sigh... top posting, even on the PAN list... I reordered above to proper
quote/reply order.  (I also fixed the split link, so it actually works,
for the convenience of anyone reading that wants to follow it.)

Thanks for the followup with the fix!  Nobody else had reported this yet,
but that doesn't mean nobody else will!  The last time something like this
happened with a GTK upgrade, quite a few posters were hit with the issue.
The fix that time was a reference to an Evolution bug, that in turn
referenced a SuSE bug, with the fix (correcting some sort of lost focus
problem, experienced in PAN, with the popup warning dialogs one gets when
they try to top post, or post long lines, or whatever).  It  wasn't long
before the various distributions had patched GTK versions out, but the
discussion hit the PAN list before most of them got patched, and it was
actually me, IIRC, that filed the Gentoo bug resulting in the patch being
applied, there, based on the info from the PAN list.  Of course, this was
all well before such versions got out of testing, so nobody on stable
would have seen the bug on any of the main distributions, only those
doing the tarball thing, or running the testing edition of their chosen
distribution.

So... again, thanks!  It's likely more reports will follow, and your
pointer to the fix will be very helpful!