pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Pan freezing on SuSE

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Pan freezing on SuSE
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 01:45:53 -0700

David Robertson posted <address@hidden>, excerpted below,  on
Sat, 12 Feb 2005 09:06:09 +0300:

> Are there any SuSE 9.1 or 9.2 users out there who have had problems with
> Pan locking up randomly? This may not even be a Pan error but I am not
> sure how to go about investigating. Starting from a terminal doesn't
> give any clues or error messages.It's a default installation, using
> pan-20041213-0.1

It could be the gtk+ 2.6.x from about a week back in the archive, if it
usually happens when you try to post, and it causes PAN to eat 100% of the
CPU on a single CPU until killed.  The problem is PAN is trying to pop up
a warning query (line too long, too much quoted text, top posting, etc)
but there's a bug in unpatched gtk+ 2.6.x versions that causes an endless
loop instead.

There's an available patch if you wish to compile it from source, or see
if there's an updated version of gtk+ 2.6.x available to you (in testing
or whatever), or downgrade to a 2.4.x version, which works fine, here.

If that's not it...  From a terminal, run "pan --help".  That'll give you
a bunch of debug options you can try.  If that still doesn't help, there's
more, but it's likely the gtk+ thing above as that has hit many of us, so
I'll skip that, for now.