pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Disable spell check (again)

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Disable spell check (again)
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 09:51:20 -0700

Anssi Porttikivi posted <address@hidden>, excerpted below,  on
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 13:07:12 +0300:

> How do I disable it? After reading the list archives I tried adding the
> Compose section to the .pan config.xml file, but the file is generated
> automatically when starting pan, and my edits are lost.
>
> I could use a good Finnish spell check, but I don't have time to tune
> that, I don't expect it to br trivial, and it will certainly not work in
> all random pan installation I might use in the future, so I need to be
> able to disable spell check easily.

I think I'm forgetting the easy way, but I use only English and
therefore don't have the multilanguage or other problems with spelling
that many have, thus, turning OFF spelling isn't a feature I use.  <g>

However, two ways that DO work:

1) Disable it at compile time.  There are --with-spelling and a
--without-spelling ./configure options, IIRC.  Try ./configure --help to
check it.

2) PAN uses one of the LC environment vars (which again I'm not all that
familiar with, but try LC_ALL if nothing else) at run-time to determine
which language to spell-check.  Simply setting the appropriate one to a
a language without an installed spelling lib/dictionary should do it, I'd
imagine.

Like I said, I think there's another way to simply toggle it at run time,
but I don't remember what it is, right now.  Someone else who uses it
hopefully will.

Benjamin Franklin