pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: ignore posts that are crossposted to gmane.spam.detected

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: ignore posts that are crossposted to gmane.spam.detected
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 08:58:51 -0700

Helge Hielscher posted <address@hidden>,
excerpted below,  on Sat, 15 May 2004 15:13:40 +0200:

> Hello,
>
> how can I create a rule so that posts that are crossposted
> to gmane.spam.detected are set to ignore status (-9999).
>
> gmane.spam.detected is a virtual group and does not exist.
>
> And idea how to combine filters and rules to filter on a crosspost?

Pan can't do that, yet, AFAIK.  All PAN can filter on is a limited subset
of the overview (xover) headers.  It cannot filter on other headers or on
the body or entire message, unfortunately.  I believe xref (which includes
the newsgroups posted to) is indeed one of the overview headers, but PAN
is limited to filtering based on the group one is actually in, so you
won't have any luck filtering on a virtual group that you can't be "in".

One workaround would be to set up your own news server locally, and have
PAN connect to it.  You could therefore set up the group spam.detected,
fetch headers for all groups you visit, then go to spam.detected and apply
a kill score based on everything there, after which you could go back to
your other groups.

Of course, if you are going to run your own server, there are better
filtering solutions available, and you can deactivate PAN's kill filtering
and kill scoring altogether.

Filtering/scoring on arbitrary content has been a requested item for
awhile (since b4 scoring was introduced, when it was only filtering).
However, back when I asked about it, I was told that while that was
important, it wasn't going to be a front-burner enhancement project for
quite some time.  I took that to mean it's likely to be there b4 1.0 is
released, but since that remains in the far and unscheduled future, it
could happen any time from later this year, to next year, to..

One way to hasten the improvement, if you have the necessary coding
skills, would be to create a patch that did full content
filtering/scoring, and submit it. I'm guessing it would be a welcomed
contribution.

Benjamin Franklin