pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Scoring bug in 0.3.91

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Scoring bug in 0.3.91
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 06:31:22 -0700

On Thu 13 Mar 2003 19:26, Brad Sims posted as excerpted below:
> On Thursday 13 March 2003 06:10 pm, Christophe Lambin wrote:
> > This is consistent with the other columns: '-' sorts the articles in
> > descending order, i.e. high-scoring articles on top.
>
> Hmm, but I use '+' in the subject field to get:
> Article 01
> Article 02

Again, that's as expected.  + indicates ascending order, 01 is lower than 02,
so is listed first. - indicates descending order, 02 is higher than 01, so is
listed first.  Sorting by score should be similar, with all unscored getting
a default score of 0 for sorting order.  Thus, ascending (+) would have the
low scores at the top, sorted ascending as it went down, with descending (-)
being the reverse, high scores at top, sorting decending as it went down.

> What I would like to do is get it to do this:
> High_Score    9999
> Middle_Score    300
> Article 01
> Article 02
>
> This is as close to what I want as I can get currently
> High_Score    9999
> Middle_Score    300
> Article 02
> Article 01
>
> What I would like to see is sort first by $FOO and then by $BAR... Maybe
> for Bluesky <g>.

According to previous posts, it sorts by last used sort in secondary sort
position.  I'm not sure if you can plus-sort one, minus-sort the other,
however.  I've never tried it, and having never used anything with scoring
b4, I haven't gotten into that yet.  I'll probably find it useful eventually,
but won't bother with it until after it stabilizes a bit, and perhaps after
someone does that documentation work Charles is asking for volunteers on.
Currently, I appreciate intellectually the idea of scoring flexibility, but in
practice, I tend to either want to see and read it, or not, meaning binary
filters are just as good, for me.  That's probably just because I've never
worked with anything that did scoring enough to really learn how to use it to
my advantage, however.

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin