pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] server connections not working!

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] server connections not working!
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 06:52:35 -0700

On Fri 14 Mar 2003 09:31, Kelly, Mark posted as excerpted below:
> hmmm, since I've upgraded to 13.4 my server, I only seem to able to connect
> to my news servers with one connection at a time.  I have the server config
> set to 4 connections at once, but it's not taking for some reason.
>
> Anyone got a clue how to correct this?

Vadim has the correct answer, but didn't really explain it.

With 0.13.4, PAN now uses the gnet (aka libgnet on Mdk, anyway) to actually
handle the network connections.  One of the things that allowed was some
useful changes in the way PAN handles its connections.  Namely, rather than
limiting itself to one connection per task, so you have to set up four
separate tasks to utilize four connections, it now puts all connections to
work on the same task, well, at least it does, up to the number of separate
segments in the task.  (Thus, d/ling a single segment message only uses a
single connection, while d/ling a multi-part message will use one for each
part, up to the four or whatever you have allowed.)

What happens when you queue up several tasks?  PAN automatically jumps to the
latest task with all connections, only completing the current segment being
d/led with each one first.  Thus, if you have a batch d/l going, and then see
a text message you want to read while waiting, queue it up as normal (hit the
space bar to read it, or click on it, or whatever), and the first connection
to finish the batch d/l segment it was working on will switch to the new task
and fetch the newly queued item for you, then go back to doing what it was
doing b4.

The thing I really like about this is that PAN now stays busy on all
connections, until it is done.  Formerly, to get that sort of behavior you
had to break a large d/l task in many pieces, then arrange the pieces so the
longer ones were done first, so that PAN would continue utilizing all the
connections as long as possible.  If you failed to do that and a big task was
left until last, all the others would be done, leaving PAN using only one
connection to finish the last task, while the others remained idle and
unused.  That's no longer the case, and PAN handles all that automatically,
utilizing all connections until there's nothing more to d/l, whether they be
arranged as multiple tasks, or just one.

Here, I can see it in the speed, since my d/l pipe is 3Mbps, but each
connection is capped at 384kbps.  If it was just one connection, I'd be stuck
at ~45KB/sec d/l.  Using all four on the same task, I can do ~180KB/sec,
which I formerly had to set up four separate tasks to do.  (I do have access
to three servers, as well, so if I want to, I can set up four additional
connection on a second server to utilize my full 3Mbps pipe, not just the
1.5Mbps four 384kbps connections will give me, but that's seldom necessary,
for my needs.)

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin