pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] speed of "Get new articles"

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] speed of "Get new articles"
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 22:45:13 -0800

On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 10:36:03PM +0100, Gert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question. Do you think it is possible to shorten the time pan
> spends processing the newsgroup after getting the new headers? I am
> subscribed to a binary newsgroup which has about 300.000 articles, and I
> just clicked on the get new article headers menu item. It started
> downloading, which it finished after a minute of 5, fetching the 90.000
> new headers. That was 29 minutes ago (and yes, this problem is common
> ;).
> I don't quite know what it is supposed to be doing now (other then
> consuming CPU cycles ;), but I doubt it is more then inserting
> structures in a sorted linked list (/tree) ?

What does the status bar at the bottom say?

Try attaching to the running pan process with gdb and hitting
ctrl-c to pause it every few minutes, and get a backtrace.
Where is Pan spending its time during these 30 minutes?

It will be practically impossible to fix this without helpers...

cheers,
Charles