pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] X-Comment-To header as an option

From: Lee J. Moore
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] X-Comment-To header as an option
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 20:40:34 +0100

On Sat, 03 Aug 2002, Charles Kerr wrote:

[..]
> > Anyway, my question: Is there a reason the attachment of this
> > header isn't optional?  I suspect it might not be an option
> > because the newsreader would get a lower GNKSA score although
> > I'm not sure.
>
> In fact, I just removed this feature a few days ago to see
> if anyone complains (See 2002-08-01 ChangeLog entry).
> AFAIK X-Comment-To is only useful on fidonet and no other
> newsreader automatically sends X-Comment-To headers.

Really?  You know, I've been maintaining a patch (since
0.11.1.92) for my own use which makes it optional.  It puts a
button - labelled 'Disable X-Comment-To Header' - on the Posting
Profiles/Custom Headers tab and remembers the setting by saving
the value in ~/.pan/data/profiles.xml.

I've never submitted it because I didn't think many would be
interested.  Pan usage does seem to be dramatically on the
increase if my regular newsgroups are anything to go by and you
don't see actual Pan users complaining; just the occasional
whinge in a non-techie group. ;)

--
Lee J. Moore