pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] problem with pan 0.12.91 compiling

From: Toby Inkster
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] problem with pan 0.12.91 compiling
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 13:04:47 +0100

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002 06:13:40 -0400
David Shochat <address@hidden> wrote:

| I wish I understood what all these *spell's do and how their
| interdependencies work.

ispell is the "original" spell checker.

aspell is Kevin Atkinson's clone of ispell with an LGPL license.

pspell was an interface to make including aspell into applications easier. Thus
pspell requires aspell (although I think it can alternatively use ispell).
aspell is currently being integrated into pspell, so that should remove some of
the confusion -- soon you will just need one package for your back-end
spell-checking engine -- pspell.

gtkspell is what Pan uses. It relies on pspell and gtk to provide a pretty and
easy to use auto spell checking text area, which otherwise acts much like a
regular gtk2 text area making it very easy to add to gtk2 applications.

There is also gnome-spell -- somewhat similar to gtkspell, but it's a GNOME 1.x
widget rather than a GTK2 widget.

I hope this clears things up somewhat.

--
Toby A Inkster. I can't think of anything clever to write here.
E-mail:   address@hidden

If I pull this SWITCH I'll be RITA HAYWORTH!!  Or a SCIENTOLOGIST!