pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] 2 Feature Requests

From: Himanshu J. Gohel
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] 2 Feature Requests
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 00:08:09 -0700

"J.B. Moreno" wrote:

> On 7/20/02 1:12 AM, Himanshu J. Gohel wrote:
>
> > While the quote-selected-text is useful, it's a hidden feature.
> > "Automatically quote when replying" should be a user preference,
> > and "Quote" should be a button to be used whenever the user
> > desires, no matter what the
> > options are set to.  Would satisfy all needs I think.
>
> Quote-selected-text is a /standard/ mail/news feature.  As such, I
> don't think it qualifies as "hidden".

"Standard?"  Outlook and Outlook Express don't do this, and as far as as I
remember Netscape does not either.  I've used Sun's mailtool, dtmail and
some other curses based mail/news programs.  I've never come across this
method.  Admittedly, I'm not up to speed on various GNOME/KDE programs.

Anyway, this doesn't mean it's not a _good_ feature.  I've been using Pan
since...well, I don't remember, but I didn't realize this feature existed
till I hit upon it one day and was going to file it as a bug (the bug would
be that reply/follow-up does not quote the entire message, only a part of
it).  Anyway, the reason why I consider it hidden is that it is not a well
known convention, *and* it is not documented.

Even regular conventions such as cut/copy/paste are documented by having
entries in the Edit menu and listed in the documentation.

> BTW -- about the "quote" button, are you saying there should be a
> paste-as-quotation command or a command that inserts the previous
> message as a quotation, regardless of what else may have been done
> in the meantime?

I would like to and then quote the message at the insertion point.  This
helps in the case where the default preference is to not quote, but in a
particular instance I would like to quote the message explicitly.

Himanshu