pan-devel

[Pan-devel] Re: Feature Request: queue size

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-devel] Re: Feature Request: queue size
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2006 09:53:35 +0000 (UTC)

"=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Fran=E7ois_Ingelrest?="
<address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted
below, on  Sat, 01 Jul 2006 10:37:05 +0200:

> I have been using Klibido for some time because of the too high memory
> requirements of Pan v0.14.
>
> I'm now using Pan again thanks to the great work made on the new beta
> versions, but there's a little feature I'm missing from Klibido. The
> latter displays the queue size in the queue manager, and I don't find
> this information in Pan.
>
> Could something like that be added to Pan? Based on this, an ETA could
> also be computed (i.e. to reach an empty queue).

Good idea!  I haven't done any binary stuff recently with either klibido
(which I had been using) or pan, so hadn't thought of it, but indeed, I
love klibido's activity display including overall size, remaining size,
and eta, and would certainly miss it in pan.

That said, it's a good guess at this point that the feature wouldn't be
added until post 1.0, with the 1.0 stable release due well before year-end
(I'm guessing August).

In any case, Charles recently posted a "Ways to get your feature into pan"
or something similar message on the user list.  Two of the suggestions
stand out.  First, after running it by users for any discussion on the
user list (this is the devel list, try the user list too), bug it as a
request in the GNOME/pan bugzilla.  It's much easier to track requests
there as they don't get lost.  Second, if you have the talent, requests
submitted with good patches attached tend to get honored faster. =8^)
Unfortunately, I don't have the talent, or there'd be a couple of patches
I would have submitted some time ago.  =8^(  (I do try to do what I
can, which is helping out in the list/groups, hopefully keeping the time
Charles has to spend in them down, so he can spend the time coding what
I can't.)  If you have the skills, go for it, as I certainly like this
proposal! =8^)