openexr-user

Re: [Openexr-user] Image Sequence Container

From: Lars Borg
Subject: Re: [Openexr-user] Image Sequence Container
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 18:11:34 -0700

If possible use MXF.
I would expect academy iif to put openexr into mxf.
This requires SMPTE defining an essence container mapping for openexr.

Lars

At 6:04 PM -0700 5/18/11, Brendan Bolles wrote:
Has anyone here ever experimented with ways to treat an image sequence as a single entity? Obviously sequences have plenty of advantages, but there's also something to be said for monolithic movie formats where there's one set of metadata for the entire clip, and maybe even an audio track to go along with it. Movies also simplify things from the user's perspective.

Has anyone tried to extend EXR into a kind of multi-frame movie format? PNG has the seldom-used MNG companion format that does this. Maybe an existing wrapper like MXF could be used? I just want it to be open source and float-friendly.

On Mac OS X, certain file extensions like .xcodeproj automatically turn a folder into a "package" so it looks like a single file. I could imagine using this along with maybe an XML file to come up with a standard way to wrap image sequences with some more intelligence. And since you'd still have a sequence at the core, you could still network render and do the other nice things we're used to.

Brendan