openexr-user

[Openexr-user] Image Sequence Container

From: Brendan Bolles
Subject: [Openexr-user] Image Sequence Container
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 18:04:23 -0700

Has anyone here ever experimented with ways to treat an image sequence as a
single entity?  Obviously sequences have plenty of advantages, but there's also
something to be said for monolithic movie formats where there's one set of
metadata for the entire clip, and maybe even an audio track to go along with
it.  Movies also simplify things from the user's perspective.

Has anyone tried to extend EXR into a kind of multi-frame movie format?  PNG
has the seldom-used MNG companion format that does this.  Maybe an existing
wrapper like MXF could be used?  I just want it to be open source and
float-friendly.

On Mac OS X, certain file extensions like .xcodeproj automatically turn a
folder into a "package" so it looks like a single file.  I could imagine using
this along with maybe an XML file to come up with a standard way to wrap image
sequences with some more intelligence.  And since you'd still have a sequence
at the core, you could still network render and do the other nice things we're
used to.

Brendan