Re: [Openexr-devel] Multi-layer multi-pass files

From: Florian Kainz
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] Multi-layer multi-pass files
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 15:33:30 -0800

Hi Ton,

The 32-character limit on channel and attribute names is still in place.
we are just days away from our next OpenEXR release; channel names with
arbitrary length will have to wait until the version after that.
Increasing the maximum length of channel names does break backwards
compatibility.  We'll have to find some way to deal with this problem.

Currently there is no standard naming scheme for layers.  Would you like
to suggest one?

Florian

Ton Roosendaal wrote:
Hi OpenEXR team,

I'm wrapping up work for our next Blender release, which supports multi-layer multi-pass rendering now. We will make use of openexr files for writing/reading an entire set of layers/passes in a single file.

In May this year I've noticed a bug in the channel naming, which didn't suppport longer nested names than 32 characters in total. I didn't get an answer to that, is this fixed?

Other question; is there a naming standard for layers/passes in files? Or, how can we make sure that such files open nicely in other applications that support openexr?

Thanks,

-Ton-