Re: [Openexr-devel] Adobe's Digital Negative Format

From: Greg Ward
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] Adobe's Digital Negative Format
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 13:44:10 -0700

I'm not a big fan of camera RAW, and I've bent quite a few ears on this topic before, but I agree with Chris (and Florian) that OpenEXR probably isn't the best place to put camera sensor data. As I see it, storing the original sensor data has the following advantages:

1) No image processing happens in the camera, therefore no "short cuts" are necessary in the production of a finished output image. 2) Later processing can choose alternative white points, improved Bayer (RGB matrix) interpolation, and make adjustments to the tone curve without incurring multiple quantization losses.

Since some processing would have to go on in converting to OpenEXR or any other scene-referred format, such an output image, however desirable, would lose the first advantage. However, if the stored color accuracy is high enough, a floating-point or similar output format would maintain the second advantage.

The main drawbacks of camera RAW as it is currently practiced are:

        1) Different encodings from maker to maker and camera to camera.
2) Lack of future support, making RAW a poor choice for image archiving.

Additionally, I have found that manufacturers often exaggerate claims for additional latitude (dynamic range) and accuracy in their RAW formats. In fact, there is little if any benefit to using RAW over a low-compression JPEG in terms of noise, range, and color accuracy. At best, I've found that camera RAW gets maybe 1/3 ev (f-stop) over white, and sometimes not even that, compared with JPEG or standard TIFF output. At the bottom end, a linear 12-bit encoding of CCD output is scarcely better than the 8-bit gamma-compressed encoding of standard TIFF or JPEG. My impression is that camera makers use RAW as an excuse not to move towards deeper pixel encodings.

My biggest problem with RAW, however, is that camera makers have been using it as a means to lock users into their products and their software, the latter being often inferior to commercial products that would work if it weren't for the proprietary nature of the RAW encodings. As a software developer myself, I find this to be particularly irksome.

Adobe's offer to clean up this mess with a public standard should be applauded. I only wish they went further to insist that camera makers work instead towards a proper scene-referred standard such as OpenEXR or an HDR JPEG format. The extra work in terms of processing on the camera is not as much as one might imagine -- a capture of two exposures should be sufficient to gain an extra 3-4 f-stops of dynamic range, compared with the 1/3 f-stop offered by RAW. Given the time it takes to write to some memory cards, HDR JPEG might even be quicker than using camera RAW, since the files would be smaller.

-Greg