Re: [forge] linear-algebra next release

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: [forge] linear-algebra next release
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2018 14:47:37 -0700 (MST)

marco atzeri-2 wrote
> Hi
> as current version 2.2.2 does not build on Octave 4.4.0,
> while repository code does, I uploaded the patches
> to clean all build warnings and bump description and NEWS
> to 2.2.3 at
>
> http://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?9646
>
> I have also prepared the source package and the
> relative octave-generate_html documentation
> using last 0.3.1 release.
>
> I will open a ticket for package release
> if the patches are accepted.
>
> Regards
> Marco

Thanks for this work, Marco.

Now that you mention, there's a pending patch report about some typos in the
NEWS:
https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?func=detailitem&item_id=8643

Another more important issue is that linear-algebra's binary modules
gsvd.oct and pgmres.oct shadow functions in core Octave that are newer and
better.
For my own builds I simply delete the entire src/ subdir in the
linear-algebra package and as far as I'm concerned that could be done for a
new release as well; in that case linear-algebra would be an .m-file only
package.
But for the sake of compatibility with older Octave releases it would be
nice to automatically detect these functions in core and if missing (older
octave) add them using autotools, along the lines of deg2rad.m/rad2deg.m in
the mapping package.
That solution (AFAIK invented by Carnë) does add complexity.
Anyway I think it is up to you to decide.

BTW yet another thing is that there's much better funm.m by one of (TTBOMK)
Marco Caliari's students that is largely finished. That would be a (very)
"nice to have" for the linear-algebra package.

Philip