Re: Octave-Forge: requirement for a maintainer Makefile for release

From: Oliver Heimlich
Subject: Re: Octave-Forge: requirement for a maintainer Makefile for release
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2016 23:47:29 +0100

On 11.12.2016 20:18, Colin Macdonald wrote:
> On 11/12/16 02:45, Oliver Heimlich wrote:
>> Putting all generated files under version
>> control could be a way out and this would also allow to simply “pkg
>> install” a development version directly from the source repository.
>
> +1 for this last point.  For example, suppose a user reports bug with
> current release; this lowers the bar for her to check with the current
> development branch.

I just found out that a fresh “hg clone” would put new timestamps on
each file.  Timestamps would be arbitrary (or in the order in which the
files are created in the new workspace).

Thus, if I put generated files under version control: It might happen
that these files get recreated by Make although they are up to date.

Any idea on how to solve this?

Oliver