Re: Octave-Forge: requirement for a maintainer Makefile for release

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: Octave-Forge: requirement for a maintainer Makefile for release
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2016 21:04:29 +0000

On 29 November 2016 at 23:40, Juan Pablo Carbajal <address@hidden> wrote:

> Carne,
>
> The Makefile in templates will fail to make check with packages that
> have dependencies. They need ot be loaded. Mike fixed this in signal,
> then I improve it in geometry.
>
> DEPENDS := $(shell $(SED) -n -e 's/^Depends[^,]*, \(.*\)/\1/p'
> DESCRIPTION | $(SED) 's/ *([^()]*),*/ /g')
>
> check: all
> $(OCTAVE) --silent \
>  --eval 'if(!isempty("$(DEPENDS)")); pkg load $(DEPENDS); endif;' \
>  --eval 'addpath (fullfile ([pwd filesep "inst"]));' \
>  --eval '$(PKG_ADD)'\
>  --eval 'cellfun(@(x)runtests (x), __geometry_package_register__);'
>
> Same goes for make run

Can you make the change and push it [1]?  And add some comments about
what it is for, and that may not be necessary for all packages?

On 30 November 2016 at 01:16, Juan Pablo Carbajal <address@hidden> wrote:
> [...]
> make clean is currently unsafe, for example
>
> make TARGET_DIR=/home/myuser all
> make TARGET_DIR=/home/myuser clean
>
> bye bye myuser folder!
>
> instead of
>
> $(RM) -r $(TARGET_DIR)
>
> better use
>
> $(RM) -r $(RELEASE_DIR) $(RELEASE_TARBALL) $(HTML_TARBALL) $(HTML_DIR)

It would be unsafe if the package maintainer set up TARGET_DIR to his
own home directory but yeah I can imagine someone doing it by accident.
I still prefer the current code on the template because it will also
clean releases other than the current version (which I guess is more
frequent in packages with stable and default branche).

Can you make your proposed change on the clean target then and add a comment
that it will not clean all older builds and how to change?

Thank you
Carnë

[1] http://hg.code.sf.net/p/octave/project-web