Re: No window controls on undocked panes (KDE)

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: No window controls on undocked panes (KDE)
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 20:08:18 +0200

Torsten wrote:
On 15.10.2013 21:43, Philip Nienhuis wrote:
     How to proceed if the example shows the same issue? Of course it
     is no
     solution to switch the theme for octave. Maybe we really have to
     implement different (un-)docking methods for *ix and windows

Yeah I remember that we had a discussion about docking and undocking,
AFAIR in the bug tracker (searching.... #38785, see also #37190).

Anyway my conclusion is that Qt's docking/undocking mechanism seems a
bit flaky (doesn't work properly cross-platform) and/or simply hard to
get implemented properly - not that I would be able to do it any better :-)

I get more and more the impression that we should implement the actual
method on windows only and switch back to the old method on other systems.

While discussing docking: I see re-docked panes always end up at the
bottom and get spread over the entire width (I think we once also
discussed re-docking back into place).

Yes, since floating widgets are reparented they can't be redocked to
their old position. The main window just don't know those widgets
anymore and restoring the old geometry after adding as new dock widgets
does not work. IMHO this is another reason why we should go back to the
old undocking method on Mac and Linux.

Philip, could you file a bug report for this issue (before we reach the
dead line)?

Done.