Re: No window controls on undocked panes (KDE)

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: No window controls on undocked panes (KDE)
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 21:43:06 +0200

Michael Goffioul wrote:
On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 3:03 PM, Torsten <address@hidden
<mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

    On 15.10.2013 20:29, Philip Nienhuis wrote:
     > Torsten wrote:
     >> On 14.10.2013 23:52, Philip Nienhuis wrote:
     >>> Before filling in a bug report:
     >>>
     >>> On my Linux box (mageia 2, KDE) undocked Octave GUI panes have
    no window
     >>> control buttons (e.g., minimize, hide, move to other desktop,
    etc. In
     >>> fact, compared to Windows, the entire title bar is missing.
     >>>
     >>> As a consequence I cannot resize or move undocked panes. Only
    the editor
     >>> pane can be moved around (but not resized), by dragging on the
    main menu
     >>> bar ("File Edit Debug Run Help"), that's the only place
    susceptible for
     >>> dragging the editor pane around.
     >>>
     >>> Anyone else seeing this?
     >>>
     >>> I searched around in my KDE settings but found nothing related.
    Until

http://blog.qt.digia.com/blog/2012/03/26/qt-commercial-support-weekly-16-floating-widgets-and-how-to-find-their-way-back-home-2/

     >> is also affected?
     >
     > You mean, compile the examples? I'm afraid that is a bit out of scope
     > for me. I don't even see include statements in that scope.
     > The spirit of the article looks good though.

    Oops sorry, I thought there was an archive to download on the website. I
    have attached the files I have been using for testing. Just
    qmake example.pro <http://example.pro>
    make

Thanks!

The example doesn't show the issue for me.

Same here, works fine.

>     How to proceed if the example shows the same issue? Of course it
>     is no
>     solution to switch the theme for octave. Maybe we really have to
>     implement different (un-)docking methods for *ix and windows

Yeah I remember that we had a discussion about docking and undocking, AFAIR in the bug tracker (searching.... #38785, see also #37190).

Anyway my conclusion is that Qt's docking/undocking mechanism seems a bit flaky (doesn't work properly cross-platform) and/or simply hard to get implemented properly - not that I would be able to do it any better :-)

While discussing docking: I see re-docked panes always end up at the bottom and get spread over the entire width (I think we once also discussed re-docking back into place).

Philip