Re: default font for GUI on Windows systems

From: Torsten
Subject: Re: default font for GUI on Windows systems
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 17:46:08 +0100

On 29.03.2013 17:30, John W. Eaton wrote:
> Your recent change
> http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/4bb1b82076e5 sets the
> default font in various places to be "Courier New".  Does that work for
> you with the Windows terminal?  It does not work for me, I'm seeing the
> cursor offset from the prompt if I use that.  OTOH, "Lucida Console"
> does work for me.
>
> Also, it seems we have the literal string "Courier New" in many places.
>  Maybe we should use a function or macro instead so that it only needs
> to be set in one location?

My intention was to take a font that is most likely available on all
platforms. Before the changeset the default was "Courier" (not available
on Linux AFAIK) or even just empty (e.g. for the terminal) resulting in
a non monospaced font in the terminal. However, the added defaults only
take effect if the related settings in the settings file is not found or
is corrupt. Maybe we should provide different qt-settings files for
different platforms.

A macro would be better but I am working on a patch that allows the user
to configure the lexer in more detail (i.e. set individual fonts, colors
etc. for keywords, comments, ...). The "global" value for the editor
font will become no more necessary.

Torsten