Re: icons of floating widgets in gui

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: icons of floating widgets in gui
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 01:48:30 -0500

On 10/29/2012 03:21 PM, Torsten wrote:
Hi,

At the moment, all floating widgets have the octave-logo as icon for
distinct assignment to octave in alt-tab- or tasks-panels. The only
exception is the terminal widget (fix here:
https://bitbucket.org/ttl/octave-ttl/changeset/204caff).

What about icons signalling that a window is belonging to octave and at
the same time showing the function of the window (edtior, terminal, file
browser, ...)? For example, the octave logo with the lower right corner
dedicated to the function of the window, i.e. containing the typical
icon for an editor, file browser etc. Only the main window would have
the original octave logo.
What do you think?

How does one make these widgets float? I pull the editor window away and it scoots into some other window. I do see there is a sort of "dock/undock" or "pin/unpin" sort of button. That seems to make the editor window float, but then trying to position the editor window makes it scoot back into the main window.

I just tried making the documentation window float and made a mess of the GUI. Putting the documentation window back to its original position created this strange overlay of window outlines and parts (obviously a Qt or related bug). I tried a few more times and now the documentation window is stuck in with terminal window and editor window. The problem is that I can make the window float, but when it floats then it won't drag down low enough to drop so it goes right back alongside the editor. Let me try floating and then making the doc window really short... nope.

OK, I'm going to wipe everything off the main window and see if I can rebuild like the original layout... I think I've got it, but found a programming bug. So, a bit of quirkiness there because of lack of real estate even though I have pretty high resolution.

When the editor window is floating, it sits on top in the order, so it isn't the most functional mode of operation. I have to think there might be some Qt settings to control this. For example, if there is a way to make the editor window non-modal and have the Gnome (or whatever) window borders, that would be nice. And in that case it would make sense to have the Octave icon in that system border to identify it belongs with Octave. In its current form though, there is no need for an icon because the floating window can't be placed at an arbitrary depth as it is always on top of the Octave main window.

Dan

Best, Torsten

--

Dan Sebald
email: daniel(DOT)sebald(AT)ieee(DOT)org