Re: ***[Possible UCE]*** Re: icons of floating widgets in gui

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: ***[Possible UCE]*** Re: icons of floating widgets in gui
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 14:05:37 -0500

On 10/30/2012 01:48 PM, Torsten wrote:
On 30.10.2012 19:19, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
On 10/30/2012 06:13 AM, Michael Goffioul wrote:
On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 2:59 AM, Daniel J Sebald<address@hidden
<mailto:address@hidden>>  wrote:

     On 10/30/2012 01:48 AM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

             At the moment, all floating widgets have the octave-logo as
             icon for
             distinct assignment to octave in alt-tab- or tasks-panels.
             The only
             exception is the terminal widget (fix here:
             https://bitbucket.org/ttl/__octave-ttl/changeset/204caff
             <https://bitbucket.org/ttl/octave-ttl/changeset/204caff>).

     I'm running Gnome.  Perhaps this is different and functionality is
     GUI dependent or controllable.  In the Alt-Tab I only see the Octave
     icon for the main window, but no floating widgets, which is probably
     the way it should be on my system because those floating widgets
     aren't independently stackable.

That's unfortunately the default behavior of QDockWidget system, which
is mainly intended for dockable toolbars.. That's why I suggested a
while back that we'd probably need our own docking system.

OK, I see that now.  The documentation calls the undocked widget "top
level".

Perhaps this isn't too difficult to change.  There is a signal sent went
the float button is clicked.  From that we can get the dock widget
pointer.  Then removeDockWidget( QDockWidget * dockwidget ) can be used
to take the widget off of the main window.  If that widget can then be
put into another container or even a second main window which only has
one item, maybe that would work.

The difficult part would be restoring the separated widget to the main
window, but there are state and geometry features, so it might be doable.

Dan

The widgets are now changed into normal windows when floating. This was
implemented with changeset 15552:bbbb89cc338f
http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/bbbb89cc338f

OK. Nice! No wonder I had no idea what you were talking about in your initial post. I guess I personally would sort of like different icons for the editor, etc. because otherwise it looks like multiple copies of octave in the workspace bar at the bottom of the screen. Can the icon be altered slightly so that one still associates it with Octave but can still tell it isn't the main window?

Dan