Re: Bus error with Octave built with Homebrew/MacOSX

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Bus error with Octave built with Homebrew/MacOSX
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 18:35:09 -0500

On Nov 26, 2011, at 5:52 PM, J. Luis wrote:

> By curiosity I built Octave 3.4.2 on Mac using homebrew. Aside  from a small
> problem with szip that brew complained that the MD5 sum failed till I changed
> the MD5 sum in the brew formula. Than Octave built fine (and fast - ~30 min).
> However, whatever I try to make it plot something, I get (and yes, I have
> tried the suggested set "GNUTERM=x11" or 'aqua')
>
> octave:1> graphics_toolkit('fltk')
> octave:2> plot(rand(1,2))
> panic: Bus error -- stopping myself...
> attempting to save variables to `octave-core'...
> save to `octave-core' complete
> Bus error

** Please don't hijack other threads **

I've not used Homebrew, but have heard of it.

Can you tell us more about what you did?

Did you build Octave (1) from the "formula" supplied by Homebrew, or (2) from a
modified version of the Homebrew formula, or from a formula of your own making?

Also, do I understand correctly that you encounter a bus error when using
either the gnuplot or fltk graphics toolkits?

Ben