Re: Performance issues on Windows, suggests a MSVC build

From: Richard Crozier
Subject: Re: Performance issues on Windows, suggests a MSVC build
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 10:44:28 +0100

 On 23/06/2011 01:58, John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 22-Jun-2011, Jeff wrote:
>
> | I was a Linux and Unix developer through grad school and my first few jobs,
> | but found as a consultant that all of my clients were using Windows.  I had
> | to make the transition.  Around the same time I started contributing to an
> | open source finite element analysis application.  I have since ported the
> | application to Windows.  It now has at least as many Windows users as *nux.
> |
> | I use Octave, SciPy and SciLab and have considered getting involved in one
> | of them.
> |
> | I would be happy to look at Octave.  What I have done before is use a
> | minimum number of #ifdefs to take care of differences or contribute code
> | which functioned equally well, but compiled on Windows.
>
> Octave already builds on Windows systems.  The problem is that we have
> no one who is actively working on building binary releases for the
> masses...
>
> Look here for collected info about building Octave on Windows systems:
>

> http://octave.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/octave/trunk/octave-forge/admin/Windows/
>
> Note that this is the Octave Forge site (contributed packages for
> Octave), not the Octave site itself.
>
> jwe

If someone can get the build steps down to a reasonably streamlined
process I can probably test it on a Windows 7 64 Bit machine, and
attempt to build binaries for this platform. I also have access to 32
Bit XP machines and a Vista 64 bit machine.

At the very least I can test binary releases on all of these platforms
if this is of any use.

Richard

--
Richard Crozier, Research Associate
Institute for Energy Systems

Phone: 0131 651 9023
Fax: 0131 650 6554

If possible, please avoid sending me files in the proprietory Microsoft Word
file format. Plain text, pdf, odf (OpenOffice/Google Docs), or html are all
preferable alternatives.

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.