Re: Performance issues on Windows, suggests a MSVC build

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Performance issues on Windows, suggests a MSVC build
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 10:06:11 -0400

On 23-Jun-2011, Richard Crozier wrote:

| Having more users of your piece of software would seem to have benefits
| to me, but I am no free software guru or philosopher.

What are the benefits?

IF the users are contributing to the community, then yes, I think it's
beneficial.  If they are not participating except to complain when
things go wrong and to expect others to fix their problems for them
for free, then having more users is not really helpful.

I would like to have more people to participating in Octave's
development, because I feel that the project is currently a bit out of
whack and that we don't have enough people contributing.  Will having
more users translate into having more developers?  I don't know.  I
haven't seen strong evidence of it yet.  But judging from the bug
tracker, I think our user numbers are up.