Re: desired features for gp backend?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: desired features for gp backend?
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 10:39:39 -0400

On 18-Jun-2009, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

| John W. Eaton wrote:
| > On 17-Jun-2009, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
|
| True, but that's the user's problem to deal with.  The situation is
| the same if I write code dependent on some function
| 'this_is_a_long_function_name(...)' and don't make that function
| available in the Octave distribution script tree.

I think it is a little different.  Clearly one must distribute
required functions.  But users who rely on functionality of a
particular plotting engine may not even realize they are doing it, and
then will be surprised when things break.

But whatever, if you want to encourage users to shoot themselves in
the foot for some marginal gain, then OK.

| Maybe it is easiest just to write something like
|
| send_text_to_gnuplot_graphics_pipe(fig, 'set foo')
|
| where internally this function locates the appropriate pipe and
| simply sends some more text.

Where should the commands be inserted?  Before all the other plotting
commands?  After?  Somewhere in the middle?

If you want to propose something, send a patch for people to consider
and discuss.