Re: desired features for gp backend?

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: desired features for gp backend?
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 09:24:53 -0500

John W. Eaton wrote:
On 17-Jun-2009, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

| What is important in my mind is an inroad to using
| more powerful features of the plotting engine.  Why limit oneself to
| the capabilities of Matlab?  A few hidden options having meaning
| only to the plotting engine seems plausible.

By "the plotting engine" do you mean "a particular plotting engine"?
Since there can be more than one, then it seems to me these "hidden
options" will cause portability problems for code.  You say the
options are "hidden", but if they are available, people will use them,
then complain later if we make some other plotting engine the default,
or if they try to share scripts with people who use an alternative
plotting engine that doesn't handle the special properties they are
using.

True, but that's the user's problem to deal with.  The situation is the same if
I write code dependent on some function 'this_is_a_long_function_name(...)' and
don't make that function available in the Octave distribution script tree.

Maybe it is easiest just to write something like

send_text_to_gnuplot_graphics_pipe(fig, 'set foo')

where internally this function locates the appropriate pipe and simply sends
some more text.

Dan