Re: does anyone have a non-postscript printer?

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: does anyone have a non-postscript printer?
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 19:39:03 -0400

On Jun 17, 2009, at 4:18 PM, Benjamin Lindner wrote:

Ben Abbott wrote:
On Jun 16, 2009, at 10:18 AM, Przemek Klosowski wrote:

Ben Abbott wrote:
If someone does have a non-postscript printer and is inclined to do
some tests for me, I'd like to produce a raw file for it (assuming it
is supported by ghostscript) and see if it prints correctly.

All I need to know is (1) the ghostscript device name, and (2) the page
size (usletter, or a4).

The most common non-postscript printer language is probably HP's PCL
(printer control language); ghostscript outputs PCL from the pcl3
driver, as well as the various LaserJet and DeskJet drivers (lj*, dj*).

There is also bunch of specific inkjet drivers: Canon Bubblejet
bj* and Epson epl* drivers, typically tied to a narrow range of printer models.

I think most HP printers that do PCL also use postscript nowadays, but this is not the
case for the inkjets.
I have a HP 2605n (color laser jet with postscript emulation, and PCL). I'm unable to produce a PCL file that will print. In octave, I type ...
   > figure(1)
   > surf(peaks(25))
   > print -dpsc test.ps
Then from a terminal command line
$ gs -dBATCH -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -dTextAlphaBits=4 -sDEVICE=pcl3 - sOutputFile="test.pcl" test.ps
   $ lpr -l test.pcl
The result is many pages that are mostly blank with some short lines of assorted symbols.
Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Can't help you with the PCL problem, but ghostscript also provides a pcl interpreter called "ghostpcl" or "ghostpdl" (?) similar to the "gs" postscript interpreter. http://www.ghostscript.com/GhostPCL.html

This may help to check for errors in the document without having a printer ready.

benjamin

Although my build of pspcl6 went fine, it was unable to properly interpret the pcl output from ghostscript.

The x11 and ps output both looked the same. I've converted the ps to a pdf and removed the erroneous 147 pages that followed the first. The one page result is attached.

Ben