Re: Q: Low hanging fruit?

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: Q: Low hanging fruit?
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 23:11:25 -0400

On Mar 10, 2008, at 10:04 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

On Mar 10, 2008, at 9:47 PM, Bill Denney wrote:

Attached are three new functions. Essentially now I'm just going through the list of functions in matlab that are missing in octave and writing the low hanging fruit.

Have a good day,

Bill

Bill,

Any chance you (or anyone else) have compiled a list of "low hanging fruit"?

I expect there are a few individuals who would like to contribute to that effort.

Personally, I'd be interested in writing some m-files during my spare time.

Ben

I don't know about a list of low hanging fruit, but I have one you could work on (or I should just stop being lazy and do it myself). The image processing toolbox function 'edge' does not have a *true* canny edge detector. There is a non-standard option called 'andy' that is similar to the canny edge detector, but isn't quite it. That is the only edge method still missing from the octave version of edge.m. I implemented a canny edge detector for my computer vision class, but haven't had time nor motivation to incorporate it into edge.m, but am more than willing to contribute my code. I also have a friend in the class who wrote a much more optimized/vectorized (yet more memory hungry) version that he said he may be willing to contribute in place of mine.

John Swensen