Re: Q: Low hanging fruit?

From: Andy Adler
Subject: Re: Q: Low hanging fruit?
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 13:13:07 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008, John Swensen wrote:

I don't know about a list of low hanging fruit, but I have one you could work on (or I should just stop being lazy and do it myself). The image processing toolbox function 'edge' does not have a *true* canny edge detector. There is a non-standard option called 'andy' that is similar to the canny edge detector, but isn't quite it. That is the only edge method still missing from the octave version of edge.m. I implemented a canny edge detector for my computer vision class, but haven't had time nor motivation to incorporate it into edge.m, but am more than willing to contribute my code. I also have a friend in the class who wrote a much more optimized/vectorized (yet more memory hungry) version that he said he may be willing to contribute in place of mine.

That would be a good idea. I wrote 'edge' to solve a problem
for a company I was working for in 1999; 'andy' was an extention
of Canny which tried a little harder to join edges (I did get permission
to contribute the code under the GPL).

Could you please post the canny detectors from you and the friend,
then we can discuss how to put them in edge.m

--
Andy Adler <address@hidden> 1(613)562-5800x6218