Re: distributed version control

From: tarmigan
Subject: Re: distributed version control
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 11:12:25 -0800

On Jan 17, 2008 10:57 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> One thing that will clearly have to change is that changesets need
> a meaningful label.  I'm accustomed to doing
>
>   cvs commit -m ""
>
> because the commit message was mostly worthless anyway.  Now that a
> changeset is useful as a collection, I think we will need to attach
> some names here.  However, I'm not sure I care to have ChangeLog info
> in the commit message.  A simpler title like "residue bug fix" would
> probably suffice, perhaps with a pointer to a mailing list thread or a
> bug report number (if/when we have a real bug report tracker).

The standard format for commit messages in git is to have the first
paragraph be a one-line summary, and then have next paragraphs (if
any) be an elaboration with links etc.  The first line is then the
subject of the email if you send it as a patch, or if you run
'git-shortlog v3.0.0..v3.0.1' you can get a changelog between two
releases with a list of the one-line subjects of all the commits.

I have lobbied enough for my preference, so I'll shut up about it
unless you have any specific usage questions.

Thanks,
Tarmigan