Re: 3.0 when?

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: 3.0 when?
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 16:27:23 +0100

On 1/11/08, Benjamin Lindner <address@hidden> wrote:
> Thanks for the link, I will take a look into it
>
> However, I frankly disapprove of forcing yet another packaging tool
> simply to retrieve compile and link settings.
> This only makes sense if the dependencies were built on the very same
> machine that the end program will run on. Otherwise all paths at compile
> time may be invalid - so why bother with them in the first place?
> And since win32 software should be designed to run from any location the
> user choses to install this is simply not useful.

For what it's worth, pkg-config under Win32 is relocatable (as are the
.pc files). This is part of the Glib implementation. Basically, if
pkg-config.exe is installed in a location like <root>\bin\pkg-config.exe,
it will look for configuration files into <root>\lib\pkgconfig\ (in addition
to hard-coded paths).

Michael.