Re: Octave Workshop 0.8

From: Stefan van der Walt
Subject: Re: Octave Workshop 0.8
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 01:55:24 +0200

On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 12:22:57AM +0100, Sebastien Loisel wrote:
>     docstring and footer).  It might be better to combine those into one
>     file (for the purpose of Octave Workshop, not the webpage).
>

> This won't significantly reduce the size of the tarball, and it might make the
> help system "less nice" (I think in the help it should be one help page per
> function, ergo one file per function). As David says, hard disk
space is cheap.

Sure, but (around here) bandwidth isn't :)

Either way, 1.5Mb isn't a problem (unless it can be avoided easily).
Frankly, I do not see the use of including the docstrings separately
in a GUI, where you can just as easily type "help function" for an up
to date docstring.

Even better would be a shorthand like in ipython:

?function

Cheers
Stéfan