Re: message ids for warnings and errors

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: message ids for warnings and errors
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 18:58:46 -0500

On Dec 7, 2005, at 10:15 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:

On  7-Dec-2005, Stefan van der Walt wrote:

| It's just as well.  I found a list by grepping through the MATLAB
| m-files (one that I obviously can't publish here) -- it contains more
| than 2000 warnings.  These include very specific warnings like
| MATLAB:cell2mat:NoInputs.
|
| I don't see any way we can implement all these, given that we're not
| allowed to look at the MATLAB source and the narrow scope they have.

I don't think it is necessary for us to have them all.  It is never an
error to use "warning off msgid", so it shouldn't matter whether we
actually have a warning with the given msgid.  But it would be nice if
we do the right thing for the warnings that we know about, and that
are common to both Octave and Matlab (divide by zero, for example).
And in those cases, it would also be nice to recognize the message ids
that Matlab uses, provided that doing so is not a lot of trouble.

It would be nice if the warning state were automatically
restored when the function completes, otherwise we are going
to end up with unwind protect cruft sprinkled everywhere again.
If users really want a name for a group of warning states,
then put them together in a script.

The usual place to turn off warnings for the user, the
.octaverc file, would never be unwound since octave never
goes above toplevel.

- Paul