ACM PDE Code GNU Compliant?

From: John Weatherwax
Subject: ACM PDE Code GNU Compliant?
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 14:01:06 -0500

Hello,
I am VERY new to octave but have some experience with mathematical software, especially partial differential equations (PDE's). I have noticed the lack of PDE software in octave and was thinking of helping to fix this. I was thinking of trying to write a C++ wrapper (much in the spirit of what is done with lsode) to the following reference:

**
Algorithm 540: PDECOL, General Collocation Software for Partial Differential Equations [D3] <http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=355849&coll=portal&dl=ACM&CFID=45079042&CFTOKEN=21829523>
N. K. Madsen, R. F. Sincovec
September 1979
*ACM Transactions on Mathematical Software (TOMS)*,  Volume 5 Issue 3

   My questions then are (before I do too much work on this):

   1)  Would this be helpful?
2) Could I use the ACM FORTRAN code (pdecol.f) in octave, i.e. is it GNU compliant? I am attaching a link to the ACM software copyright and license information...I'm not very good at reading these things.
   http://www.acm.org/pubs/copyright_policy/softwareCRnotice.html

I think the BLAS algorithms originally appeared in ACM TOMS so I am hoping that this will be alright.

   Thanks,

   John

--

John L. Weatherwax

Lincoln Laboratory, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
244 Wood Street
Lexington, MA 02420-9108 USA

Phone : 781-981-5370
Fax   : 781-981-4739