Re: segmentation fault when load more then 2.1 GB

From: Daniel Heiserer
Subject: Re: segmentation fault when load more then 2.1 GB
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 02:51:46 -0500

| Why not changing ftell/fseek etc. to ftello/fseeko?
| http://www.ece.utexas.edu/~luo/linux_lfs.html
| then 64bit large files support can be enabled during compile time.

That could allow you to read large files, but what will you do with
the data once you have read it?  Octave does not currently support
arrays larger than 2GB on systems that have 32-bit ints.  Or are you
saying that the file is larger than 8GB, but it contains no individual
matrix objects that are larger than about 2GB?

At least one object is larger then 2GB. I submitted a patch on February 12th 2003 which fixes that problem. I never got a feedback concerning the question for the "adverse effects" also I haven't seen the patch included till today. Unfortunately the people answering the thread focused on the bad timing of the "rand" function I used to demonstrate the usage :-(

The patch was:
http://www.octave.org/octave-lists/ archive/bug-octave.2003/msg00306.html

I am willing to help fixing all this "size" limitations quickly. The main reason why this stuff didn't bother most people up to now was simply that it takes a reasonable investment in hardware to deal with large problems (more then 2GB memory and a 64 bit OS). However dawn has approached for these restrictions. It will be only a question of time when this limitation will become a major problem for many people. The reason that "the leading competitior" might have a problem with it as well is for me not the reason of not fixing it.

-- daniel