oath-toolkit-help

Re: [OATH-Toolkit-help] TOTP - pam module doesn't store h/w key drift

From: Sergey
Subject: Re: [OATH-Toolkit-help] TOTP - pam module doesn't store h/w key drift
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 21:58:58 +0400

> 1) The hw clock has a constant offset
> 2) The hw clock actually drifts during use, so the offset changes

I have a h/w key I use for ~2 years. In fact it has both issues - offset –130
steps and drift around -3/ steps a year.

The first problem can be solved by either manually setting the shift in config
or making a big window, so after the first successful login this shift will be
stored in config. Then one can change window back to normal 3—5.

The second problem is solved by the window — system always check +1/-1 step or
more and then stores the calculated offset in config.

The current code can be fixed to store the shift... I'm just not very familiar
with C coding...

<@)%%>{