Re: [Nmh-workers] Local submission queues

From: Lyndon Nerenberg
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Local submission queues
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2016 18:38:49 -0800

> On Feb 21, 2016, at 6:13 PM, Ken Hornstein <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> So it occurs to me you could MOSTLY do this right now without any changes
> to nmh.
>
> [...]
>
> So, you could have your own postproc check the exit value of the 'real'
> post(8) and if it fails, grab the outgoing message and hide in your
> queue directory.  You'd also have it check for any messages in the queue
> directory and try submitting those at the same time.  You don't need to
> save any SMTP envelope metadata, because post(8) gets that out of the
> message headers today.

I don't like the exception-based process model you describe.  Making submission
queueing the default - even for the single message case - greatly simplifies
the interface.

And having a single hook for this opens up a lot of flexibility for things I
can't even imagine right now, but know I will want to as the corporate monsters
and governments continue to restrict whom I am allowed to talk to, and how.
(Okay, maybe that's a bit hyperbolic.  Or not ...)

--lyndon