Re: [Nmh-workers] Local submission queues

From: Bob Carragher
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Local submission queues
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2016 17:27:18 -0800

I would definitely try something like what Lyndon proposed.

I'm almost certainly another outlier.  I also have a home-grown
way of dealing with deferred email posting.

In my case, I simply (and literally) refile messages into a
Pending folder instead of "send"-ing at the end of a
comp/repl/forw.  I have a script which I run once I'm reasonably
sure that I have good Internet connectivity; the script renames
the message files, one at a time, to the default "draft"
filename, and then requests MH to send them without further
processing.  (There are a few check and safety bits in the script
as well.)

The main reason is that I sometimes find myself with my laptop in
a place with no reliable connection to the Internet, either
through WiFi/ISP or mobile phone network hotspots.  (Despite
living in Silicon Valley, my ISP and cell phone carrier can both
be flaky.  Monopolies can also lead to "third world" situations.
I also travel to relatives' places, which can be even worse.)  In
addition, I sometimes want to wait to send some messages until
later, but want to compose them earlier -- regardless of the
(current) connectivity level.  (It's one trick I use to keep
email from completely taking over my life.)

What would work well for me would be a setup where I can have
"queue processing" settings -- e.g. by default always queue
messages and wait for Bob to invoke 'mhsubmit' (and then keep
[re]trying until all are successfully sent) -- that can be
overridden in the existing commands (e.g. in addition to the
"send" option you have a new "send_right_now_i_mean_it" option).

                                Bob

On Sun, 21 Feb 2016 17:07:30 -0800 Lyndon Nerenberg <address@hidden> sez: