Re: [Nmh-workers] mhfixmsg invocation

From: David Levine
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] mhfixmsg invocation
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 11:36:04 -0500

Paul F. wrote:

> david wrote:

>  > Alternatively, something like this (completely untested)?
>  >
>  >     msgs=`inc -format '%(msg)'`  &&  [ -n "$msgs" ]  &&  mhfixmsg $msgs
>
> but then i'd lose the default output of inc.

msgs=`inc -format '%(msg)'`  &&  [ -n "$msgs" ]  &&  scan $msgs  &&  mhfixmsg
$msgs

inc and scan use the same code for their output.

> does mhfixmsg report (via exit code) whether it actually did anything
> or not?  the man page doesn't say.  if not, using anno would be
> difficult.

No, it only returns a nonzero status if it found a problem.
I'm still not convinced; if I was going to add the header,
I'd do it whether or not mhfixmsg modified the message.  If
you want to see if it did modify it, you could run with
-verbose.  (And either filter out the "will not decode"
messages, which should go away some day, or grep for the
messages you're interested in.)