Re: [Nmh-workers] mhfixmsg invocation

From: Paul Fox
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] mhfixmsg invocation
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 11:12:26 -0500

david wrote:
 > Paul F. wrote:
 >
 > > i'm having a bit of trouble understanding how to integrate mhfixmsg
 > > into my workflow.
 > >
 > > i'd like to automatically run mhfixmsg on all mail, and, therefore,
 > > keep a backup of messages that it processes.  since i kind of abhor
 > > the ,nnn style of mh backups, i'd like to keep the mhfixmsg backups in
 > > a separate folder.  i think i can do this by setting mhfixmsg's
 > > rmmproc to a command that does something like:
 > >     cp $* $(mhpath +mhfixbackup new)
 > > is there a better way?
 >
 > Not that I can think of, though I use the procmail approach so
 > haven't thought too much about it.
 >
 > > mhfixmg by default will only act on 'cur', leaving the
 > > others unprocessed.  (i suppose "inc && mhfixmsg unseen" would work, at
 > > the cost of re-checking messages that i've manually added back into
 > > the unseen sequence.)
 >
 > The cost of re-checking is so low that I would go that route.

that's likely what i'll do, though i'll investigate the procmail
technique some more, as well.

 > Alternatively, something like this (completely untested)?
 >
 >     msgs=`inc -format '%(msg)'`  &&  [ -n "$msgs" ]  &&  mhfixmsg $msgs

but then i'd lose the default output of inc.

 > Let me know what you settle on and I'll update the man page.
 >
 > > finally -- it feels like mhfixmsg should always add a new
 > > "X-mhfixmsg-was-here" header when it modifies a message, which would
 > > let me know that there is (or was) another version of the message file
 > > floating around somewhere.  was this considered?
 >
 > No.  Off hand, I'm not fond of it.  You can do that with anno if
 > you want.

does mhfixmsg report (via exit code) whether it actually did anything
or not?  the man page doesn't say.  if not, using anno would be
difficult.

paul

 paul fox, address@hidden (arlington, ma, where it's 30.4 degrees)