Re: [Nmh-workers] re repl'ing to msgs with utf-8 From & Subject

From: rader
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] re repl'ing to msgs with utf-8 From & Subject
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 12:14:53 -0500

 >  > We can't (yet) ENCODE RFC2047 headers.  So if we decode a From: or
 > Subject:
 >  > with non-ASCII characters, we're kinda stuck because we'll be sending out
 >  > something that's invalid according to the RFCs.  Right now leaving the
 >  > encoded headers intact is probably our best bet; that way capapable
 > mailers
 >  > can still understand them.
 >
 > Okay, I agree about the headers [...]

Well, on second thought I don't exactly agree: 1) in reality I often modify the
Subject:, which I can't do if they are encoded, 2) I'm guessing down on the
farm almost all mail bits (MTAs and MUAs) will correctly handle plain Subject:
headers with raw UTF-8, and 3) down on my farm msgs with RFC2047 headers
actually decode to plain text ASCII--they are only RFC2047 encoded because some
Verizon smart phone MUA (or perhaps the email.com MTA) insist on it.

So I'd like to intelligently decode the Subject: (not duplicate Re:).  Is that
possible?  Using...

 Subject %<(decode{subject})Re: %(decode{subject})%>

...doesn't work.

steve